Friday 20 April 2012

Robert Rauschenburg

Robert Rauschenberg was an American artist who came to prominence in the 1950s transition from Abstract Expressionism to Pop Art. Rauschenberg is well-known for his "Combines", of the 1950s, in which non-traditional materials and objects were employed in innovative combinations. Rauschenberg was both a painter and a sculptor and the Combines are a combination of both, but he also worked with photography, printmaking, papermaking, and performance.

I really admire hias work, it reminds me alot of collage work i have created and prints I have designed. He uses very vibrant colours, he uses well balanced imagery, and each piece is always so different. I love this piece above as it has a washed out effect, as if it has a filter on it wiping any harshness away. His work mainly consists of objects, prints, and photos all glued and painted together to come up with a sort of sculptured painting.

Rauschenberg picked up trash and found objects that interested him on the streets of New York City and brought these back to his studio where they could become integrated into his work. He claimed he "wanted something other than what I could make myself and I wanted to use the surprise and the collectiveness and the generosity of finding surprises. And if it wasn't a surprise at first, by the time I got through with it, it was. So the object itself was changed by its context and therefore it became a new thing.



This one above strikes me a little, Im not usually a fan of sculptures, but beacuse of the colours he has used to paint the bikes and the way they are situated it really draws me in./I love where he has put them, the sculpture really suits the backdrop. Its so simple but effective. He was so well known he and many other artists such as Andy Warhol, Roy Lichenstein and Jeff Koons were all comitions to paint a new design on a BMW car for the BMW Art Car project. I must admit i did'nt like Roberts as much as some of the other cars but for the recognition it really helps. His work does'nt really reflect in the design he did for this.



No comments:

Post a Comment